43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Sunday 28 March 2010

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?











The distribution aspect of the magazine process is crucial to it's success, without getting a good foot in early with reputable institutions, such as Bauer or IPC, a magazine will simply not be able to survive. The market of today demands, something new, it does not want the same as it as had previously, most of all it wants quality, this is surely the most desired aspect of production. It is also important you choose the right institution, this is the same with anything in media, a prime example would be the music industry - you would not send your jazz music to a heavy metal label such as Geffen Records!
Bauer Media publish Mojo magazine, whilst IPC Media publish UNCUT magazine, this covers my two main influences when it comes to my own publication, therefore it would be these institutions that I would strive to aim for with my magazine. I believe that parts of it do the job that they should, and would definitely be taken on by eiher of the two discussed institutions. However my main problem is that too much of my magazine is perhaps too tacky to be used in such high profiled institutions, and would therefore not be published by them. My contents page is the epitomy of this, the block colours are wrong and do not work in context with the page, the shaping of each part i do quite like, as it is interesting, perhaps successful institutions do not want 'interesting' though.

No comments:

Post a Comment