43221 Darlington, Queen Elizabeth

Sunday 28 March 2010

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?


Myself and another student (also having produced a magazine) went into Darlington town centre, clad with a fluffy boom mic (just for show), to ask our public what they thought of our magazine productions. We got many responses, I particularly enjoyed one response from an older man who said he 'liked' mine and that he was 'a bit of an old school rocker'. This is exactly the kind of response i was hoping for, unfortunately this clip and other footage became lost in translation and therefore unable to use. I have made a short montage of the footage i did have, unfortunately this is only one response, fortunately i have used exciting music that fits with both the footage and my audience's music tastes.
During the planning stages, my audience was quite varied, from an older perhaps near 50ish aged male market to a young and nostalgic mid - late teen audience, this is the case evermore, especially after the trip into Darlington town, both of the two categories liked my magazine and confirmed to me that they would buy it. I found one of my target audience (an older male) heading towards the Beatles remasters collection, i included this in my early audience research for the magazine, pulling all the strings together between my research and final magazine product.
Having now seen what is 'wrong' with the magazine, I can truly say that my audience is certainly not 'niche' and although it is a mixture of ages, this seems to benefit the magazine in terms of being a successful product. The fact that there is a wide age range, allows for people out of most social groups that buy magazines, to buy this magazine. 'Music man' has something for the indie crowd, the urban smart crowd, the rock and roll crowd and the rock crowd, there is a strong decision to banish 'scene' music and anything American punk pop based, other than stated, all are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment